Special Event Park Use

The Huntington Park Department of Parks & Recreation operates six parks and five community centers. Public parks make a great venue for family gatherings and other organized events. In order to ensure public safety and quality management of your event for the patrons and community, permits are required for any group of 75 or more people.

Facility Rental Permits

Facility Rental Permits are required for organized events involving the use of public parks that DO NOT have complex* event components and that will have groups of 75 or more people. Examples include picnics, family gatherings, and birthday parties. Facility Rental Permits may be issued by Parks and Recreation Department staff.

For more information about Facility Rental Permits, click here.

Special Event Park Use Permits

If your event has complex* event components, you must complete the Special Event Park Use Permit Application. Event organizers must apply annually for event permits. Each November, the City Council approves the Annual Calendar of Special Events for the following calendar year. The deadline to apply is October 1. Applications that do not meet this deadline are submitted to the Parks and Recreation Commission and City Council as they are received. Applications must be submitted at least 90 days before the event.

You will be required to submit an application fee of $80 ($30 for non-profit organizations). Applications submitted less than 90 days before the event will be assessed a $10 per business day late fee. Please note that the organization applying for the special event permit must have at least three years of experience conducting the same or similar event proposed in its application.

*Complex event components that WILL require a Special Event Park Use Permit include:

  • Rides/carnival activities
  • Street closures
  • Pyrotechnics/lasers
  • Traffic control
  • Need for security
  • Environmental review
  • Elevated stages or other temporary structures (i.e. bleachers or platforms) that are built on site

*Complex event components that MAY require a Special Event Park Use Permit include:

  • Live entertainment/animals
  • Barbecues/open flames
  • Generators/electrical distribution
  • Food or beverage sales (including giving away or providing samples of food or beverages)

For More Information

If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact: 

Recreation Manager 

Celica Quinones 


 (323) 584-6218